Monday, April 8, 2013

A Handmade Birthday

Today is my husband's birthday.  The kids and I each made something. The boys loved waking up this morning with the three gifts wrapped on the table.  They were so proud of their gifts!

Yoav was very organized and made his about two weeks ago.  He kept reminding me that DH's birthday was coming and that I should get started.  He was right, of course - but instead of following his advice, I waited until the last minute and was up sewing until 2am last night!

Yoav made a felt (100% wool) iPhone bag.  He measured and cut the felt (with my help), blanket stitched the sides and added a button (which he made out of leather) and a finger-crocheted strap.

iPhone case made by Yoav for Jeremy's birthday

Elie made a bookmark in the same style as this one we made years ago with Yoav.  It is a Soulemama idea and I LOVE them.  They are so sweet - such a wonderful way to save our little one's drawings.  Elie said it's a picture of him, so that when DH travels, he'll have a picture of Elie with him!

Since the directions are no longer available online, I'll do a set of quickie instructions:  First we cut a piece of linen 3"x7".  I drew a 1/2" border all around and Elie drew a picture inside with a water-soluble marker (first photo below).  Then I embroidered the picture.  Next I cut out another piece of cotton fabric for the back, a piece of fusible lightweight interfacing and a piece of felt for thickness (all 3"x7").  I ironed the interfacing to the back of the embroidered piece.  Then I made a sandwich:  embroidered piece, face up; backing fabric; felt.  I then sewed together with a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a 2" hole to turn the work. Then I turned the work rightside out, poked out corners with a knitting needle, ironed and sewed up the hole with slip stitch. Yoav's had a little ribbon on top which I like, but at 1am, I cut corners (LOL - literally and figuratively!)...

Elie's bookmark

Bookmark for Jeremy's birthday

My gift was an ipad mini case.  I used this tutorial from One Shabby Chick, but for the mini, I cut the pieces 7.5" x 10" (per this blog).  I didn't quilt the cover, just cut all the pieces 7.5x10.  I tapered the lining pieces - the top was 7.5" wide, but the bottom tapered to 6.5" to reduce bulk from the batting.  The flap was cut to 3.5"x4" (I first tried 3x4, but it seemed too small so I redid it).  I added a pocket for the ear buds (pocket was made with two pieces of 7.5"X4" cotton with lightweight fusible interfacing between the two).  Choosing fabric for DH was so not fun.  I usually love choosing fabric for sewing projects, but here, my goal was to find something as plain as possible without being completely solid...

iPad case made by me for Jeremy's birthday

DH was thrilled with all the gifts!  And now I want a bookmark too.  It's the cutest thing peeking out of a book:  

Bookmark peeking out

3 comments:

  1. A belated Happy Birthday to him.

    They look like lovely gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily!
    I recently moved to Israel, and I am trying to figure out how and where to buy good food for me and my husband. I can't find your email address on the site, but I would very much like some information on how get good raw milk. I live in Tel Aviv, but I would be willing to drive somewhere in order to buy.
    I can be reached at rc.thorsen@gmail.com.

    Thank you so much for your blog and all the neat posts you write.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these ideas! Ive been thinking of ways to make birthdays and holidays to be more about homemade gifts than typical shop bought presents but I wasn't raised that way so was having a hard time thinking about what my children could make that wasnt just a drawing or daisy chain. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete