I've been making a few new (cold) salads recently and told a few friends I'd share the recipes, so I figured I'd go ahead and share here. I make a big batch of salads for Shabbat and then eat the leftovers all week :P
Soak 500g (size of a bag in Israel) of black lentils (can use green lentils, but the black lentils are tastier for a cold salad) in water and lemon juice overnight (to reduce phytates)
1. In the morning, boil in water until al dente (not long, maybe 10 minutes - check often because they're really much yummier al dente!)
2. Strain and sock in cold water to stop the cooking process.
3. Add one large lemon (squeezed), apple cider vinegar (3T / to taste), olive oil (3T), chopped parsley, one red onion (diced), 2-3 red peppers (diced), balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper to taste
Bulgur and Dried Fruit Salad
1. Soak 500g of bulgur overnight in 1.5 cups + 1/2 cup water + 1/4 cup lemon juice (long soaking time to reduce phytates)
2. Add a big handful of parsley, cilantro, and mint, each chopped fine
3. Add 1/2 red onion (diced fine), 4 sprigs scallions (diced), 3/4 c chopped dried apricot, 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or raisins if you don't like the taste of cranberries), 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4-1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, salt/pepper to taste.
1 whole white cabbage (diced thinly), a few sprigs scallions (diced), handful of pumpkin seeds, handful sunflower seeds
Mix together and then pour over salad: 1/4 c soy sauce, 1T sesame oil (I skip b/c Yoav is allergic so I don't keep it in the house, but it's a little yummier with it), 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar