Yea, so Jer got back yesterday evening! It was so exciting to see him AND to get all of our goodies :)
Yoav got three wooden Osteimer animals - they were going to be for his birthday, but he asked Jer to get him some animals and I didn't want plastic ones and it's almost impossible to find wooden ones in stores, so I just wrapped these up and stuck them in Jer's suitcase when he got home. Yoav was really happy with them - a calf, a sheep and a duck. He has a lot of ducks now, between the felt ones I made, the knitted ones I made, two wooden ones from long ago and now this one. He also got a cool hand drill from Garrett Wade.
For me, I got:
* Stainless steel ice cube tray from TickleTrunk. I tested it out last night and it works great! Since it's expensive for an ice cube tray, I emptied it into a stainless steel bowl and refilled so now I'll get two trays worth of ice cubes. Yoav likes cold water so I stick them in his cup if we don't have any refrigerated water and we also use them to cool off oatmeal :)
* Lots of playsilks, dye and muslin from Dharma Trading. The playsilks and dye will be the party favors for Yoav's birthday party (more to come about that - still arguing w Jer about the specifics). The muslin is fabric for me.
* Two beautiful Japanese crafting books - Linen, Wool, Cotton: 25 Simple Projects to Sew with Natural Fabrics and Patchwork Style. SO many great projects, particularly in the Linen, Wool, Cotton one. The other isn't quite my style, so I'll have to modify the projects, but there's a lot of good ideas that are easily modify-able to things I would want to make!
Guess that's about it.
Now a few quick comments about the kids:
* The other day, I heard Yoav say to Elie, "I didn't mean to upset you."
* One day recently Elie was playing in the bathroom sink and didn't want to come to bed. I was getting frustrated. Yoav said, "I think you should just enforce him. It's better for him to cry than die." Good philosophy! Glad I have someone to remind me of that ;)
* I was baking with Elie and filled a measuring cup to x cups, then squatted down to look through the side to make sure I had it even. Elie then squatted down to look through the side, just like I did - very seriously, I might add :) The funniest part (to me) was that he didn't seem like he was missing anything. He looked in and seemed quite satisfied that he had done exactly what I did and had accomplished the same goal (well, probably he's not goal-oriented, so the fact is that he just did what I had modeled physically and that, in and of itself, was a good enough goal for him).
* I blew on my oatmeal b/c mine was piping hot and Elie blew on his even though his was totally cold since I'd put an ice cube in it.
* When you ask Elie a question and the answer is yes, he sometimes gets so serious about things and makes a serious face and shakes his whole head up and down. Tonight we were outside and he said Nina (name of neighbor's dog) and wanted me to pick him up. I asked if he was nervous about Nina and he did the serious head shake. It's too cute for words that a 22 month old could be so very serious about ANYTHING, much less the many things that Elie's so serious about ;)
* Elie and Yoav were laughing it up tonight in bed before we went to sleep. It was so much fun to watch. Elie was sitting on Yoav's tummy or even stepping on him and they were just tumbling around and laughing. A few times Yoav actually started laughing hysterically to the point that his face turned red. So cool to see, because he never laughs that hard with anyone else. I've very rarely seen that sort of laugh from him and I love that Elie brings it out so easily.
Okay, now FINALLY to go make the little snack pouches I want to make tonight. Yoav already picked out his fabric, so he's expecting it to be waiting for him - it's just like the "Elves and the Shoemaker" over here I tell you. Just like it!
Not to worry - the shoemaker (and his little helper) will get their new shoes tomorrow morning :) The outside fabric is Japanese - Cosmo's "Hello My Friends" and the inside is the organic muslin that I just got.